I already have an apple crumble recipe on my blog, but this one is different in that it is a slice - so best baked for morning teas, parties, etc. It also has a base, unlike my other crumble recipe, but I hope you find that this recipe is just as easy as the other one!
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup caster sugar
Good quality jam - strawberry or blueberry will do
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and grease and line a slice pan.
2. Cube the butter and melt on the stove top. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
3. Peel and core the apples, before slicing them thinly. Leave aside.
4. In a bowl, mix the self raising flour, coconut, caster sugar, egg and the butter. Use your hands to mix it and then take half of the mixture and press to cover the bottom of the slice pan.
5. Add the oats to the remaining mixture, and mix in thoroughly. Leave aside.
6. Taking spoonfuls of jam (approximately 3), cover the slice base with a thin layer of jam right up to the very edges.
7. Layer the apple slices onto the base of the slice. At this point, if you want to scatter some blueberries (fresh or frozen), please feel free to do so!
8. Using your hands, rub the remaining mixture between your fingers and scatter over the top of the slice. They should form little balls of dough. Cover the top of the apples completely.
9. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes. The crumble on the top should have puffed up nicely and be golden in colour.
10. Remove from the oven and try to resist temptation - leave it to cool completely, if you don't, it won't hold its shape when you slice it! Slice into squares, and enjoy!
This is fast becoming a staple recipe for when I need to bring a plate - as I said, everyone loves apple crumble!