1/2 pack of Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
2 large eggs
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 cups thickened cream (I used skim, but you can use full fat if you'd prefer)
1 cup milk (again, I used skim instead of full fat)
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
*Optional: 4 drops green food colouring - the recipe in the book doesn't call for it, but I wanted the colour!
1. Chop the cookies, place in a bowl and freeze while you make the ice cream base.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs for 1-2 minutes until pale and creamy.
3. Beat in the sugar, a little at a time, until all the sugar is in the mix and then continue beating for a minute or two more.
4. Add the milk and cream and beat for a minute or two before adding peppermint extract and food colouring (if you choose to add colouring) and beat until well combined. Taste it at this point to see if it's minty enough for you - I found this to be just right, be careful to not add too much!
5. Transfer the ice cream base to a bowl and place in the freezer for half an hour to completely chill.
6. Remove ice cream base from the freezer, and churn in your ice cream maker in accordance with your machine's instructions.
7. In the last two minutes of churning, when your ice cream has already thickened and formed and is of soft serve consistency, take the Oreo from the freezer and add to the ice cream.
8. Let it churn for a few more minutes before turning off the machine, turning the ice cream into a container and sticking it in the freezer to let it harden further - or eat immediately!
This ice cream is incredibly more-ish. I just could not stop going back for more and more spoonfuls of the stuff - it would be so easy to eat the entire batch in one sitting!!
|You can't really see it, but it's a pale green colour!|